It may be surprising, but a study found that 92% of Business-to-Business (B2B) buyers are open to cold calls if they are done by well-trained sales people. In fact, it is the untrained and often pushy marketers that have given cold calling such a bad reputation, making it even harder for qualified sales people to effectively generate leads.
Still, cold calling can be a very effective lead generation tool. However, for this to be true you first need to hire and train a dedicated sales team or hire a firm that specializes in teleprospecting. Then they must adhere to the following steps for improving teleprospecting performance. These steps include:
- Sustain the call: Do not pressure your prospect to make a decision on the first call. Teleprospecting is a process that takes time.
- Make every call count: Even if your target is unavailable, do not give up. Instead, ask if there is another decision maker available.
- Throw away the script: Telemarketers use scripts. Teleprospecters should not. Instead, have a conversation. Follow your call guide, but remain flexible.
- Respect the executive assistants: EAs can be very influential. Remember, they are constantly in contact with YOUR target. So treat executive assistants with respect.
- Always be relevant: Know whom you are talking to. Do not call a prospect without first knowing a little background about them, their business and most importantly, the issues they face and how your product can help solve them.
- Gain opt-in: Be proactive in your initial phone call and ask for permission to send additional information in an email. This will help you stay in touch.
- Always follow up: Your follow up calls or emails will most likely be more fruitful than your initial cold call.
Good luck. But remember, cold-calling needs to be part of a holistic lead generation strategy.
If you have any questions, contact Grindstone Business Development by calling 1-888-724-7463 or click here today!
Grindstone is a full service, outsourced Business Development Company providing professional sales support and complete sales outsourcing solutions to Domestic and International clients alike. Grindstone specializes in Business to Business (B2B) programs including direct telesales, lead generation, database updating, customer retention, and appointment setting services. Grindstone recruits, manages, and maintains top level talent through a superior management infrastructure. Consistent communication, feedback, and strategy refinement are a core trait. Grindstone is an extension of each client’s business and operates at the highest levels of professionalism. Every client program starts with the goal of establishing a long term ongoing partnership.